January 27: On International Holocaust Memorial Day, participants in the “Red Carnation” film club visited memorial sites in Donetsk and placed flowers at the Monument to the Victims of Fascism and the Holocaust memorial.
|Photos: Svetlana Licht|
The dead were buried in a park near the Palace of Culture of Metallurgists. After the liberation of Donetsk, a small sculpture monument was installed at the site of the graves.
In 1956, residents of Donetsk raised a mound on the grave site.
In 1965, on the 20th anniversary of the Victory over Germany, a Monument to the Victims of Fascism was erected on the mound, from the donations of Donetsk residents.
The Monument to the Victims of the Holocaust is located in the Leninsky district of Donetsk, in an area that used to be called White Quarry. A Jewish ghetto existed in White Quarry during the Great Patriotic War, which held 3,000 Jewish families. All of them were killed by the Nazis.
On the steps to the monument are different footprints: shod and barefoot.
Opening of the monument was scheduled for December 22, 2006, but on the night of December 19-20, the monument was desecrated — a swastika was painted on it. The opening was postponed until December 26, 2006.
Translated by Greg Butterfield